Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Do The Boogie! : B. B. King's Early '50s Classics





"Do The Boogie" collects 20 songs from Riley "Blues Boy" King's 1950s heyday, which was arguably his best period, and certainly his grittiest. There are plenty of classics here, including "I Got To Find My Baby", "Why I Sing The Blues", "Woke Up This Morning", "When My Heart Beats Like A Hammer", and King's take on "Crying Won't Help You", and his guitar playing is as gritty as it ever was. His style was always more urban than that of, say, Howlin' Wolf or even Muddy Waters.

This is great West side blues, and there are also a couple of alternate takes here, and a few tough-to-locate items ("Bye Bye Baby", "Dark Is The Night" parts 1 and 2, "Jump With You Baby"), and compiler Ray Topping has gone out of his way to include a number of songs which aren't usually found on B.B. King-compilations.

1. Boogie Woogie Woman
2. Past Day
3. I Gotta Find My Baby
4. Bye Bye Baby
5. Woke Up This Morning (My Baby She Was Gone)
6. Please Love Me
7. Blind Love
8. When My Heart Beats Like A Hammer
9. Whole Lotta Love
10. That Ain't The Way To Do It
11. Everyday (I Have The Blues)
12. Let's Do The Boogie
13. Dark Is The Night - Part 1
14. Dark Is The Night - Part 2
15. Why I Sing The Blues
16. Everything I Do Is Wrong
17. The Woman I Love
18. Jump With You Baby
19. Troubles, Troubles, Troubles
20. Crying Won't Help You


1 comment: